Qualifications and Associated Units
O1Excavation in the road/highway, 001, 002 and 003
O2Excavation, backfilling and reinstatement – cold lay, 001, 002, 003, 004, 005 and 006
O3Reinstatement – hot and cold lay bituminous materials, 001, 002, 006 and 007
O4Reinstatement of concrete slabs, 001,002 and 008
O5Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways, 001,002 and 009
Units of Competence for Trained Operatives
- Unit 001 Location and avoidance of underground apparatus
- Unit 002 Signing, lighting and guarding
- Unit 003 Excavation in the road/highway
- Unit 004 Reinstatement and compaction of backfill materials
- Unit 005 Reinstatement of sub-base and road-base in non-bituminous materials
- Unit 006 Reinstatement of cold-lay bituminous materials
- Unit 007 Reinstatement of hot-lay bituminous materials
- Unit 008 Reinstatement of concrete slabs Unit 009 Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
New Roads and Streetworks act 1991
The Aim of the General Operatives Course is to:
Enable Operatives to gain the necessary qualifications ( up to 5 groups can be gained ) under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991 to allow them to carry out their duties on the public highway, ranging from excavation to permanent re-instatement of paved structures.
The Objectives of the Course are to enable delegates to:
- Gain skills and knowledge to fulfil duties required by the Roads and Streets Works Act 1991.
- Have an understanding of responsibilities under Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 & other current relevant legislation.
Who Should Attend The Course?
The law requires that at least 1 Operative in any squad must have gained the required qualification/s in the aspect of the work being undertaken.
Candidates will participate in theory lessons and practical demonstrations / exercises, all of which are highlighted by the use of OHP & Videos covering :
- New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991
- Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
- Other current relevant regulations
- Interpretation of plans
- Safe working practices
- Identification of apparatus
- Excavation techniques
- Disposal of surplus material
- Repositioning of kerbs and edgings
- Use of cable location equipment
- Reinstatement of the road structure
- Reinstatement of modular footpaths
- Use of temporary traffic lights
- Implication of damage to apparatus
- Layout of signs, cones and barriers
- Surface finishing
- Re-use of selected excavated material
1-5 days depending on units of accreditation required.
SQA Certification and a Street Works Register ID Card which proves registration on the New Roads & Street Works Qualification Register.